This month Action for Happiness encourages us to prioritise caring for ourselves. We all need to look after our own wellbeing at any time, but right now with all the unsettling news and uncertainty surrounding us it’s more important than ever to ensure our energy resources are nourished. It’s the old adage about putting your own oxygen mask on in an emergency before helping others. And, as Action for Happiness says, you can’t pour for an empty cup. So be kind to yourself in whatever way is meaningful for you, then you can be better placed to manage disconcerting times and have enough vitality to be kind to others too.
As usual, Action for Happiness has a monthly calendar of daily practices to encourage the behaviour that they are focusing on each month. Self-care covers a wide range of topics, from doing things that energise, nourish or pamper us, to self-acceptance of the way we are and less of that inner voice of self-criticism.
Here are some of their daily ideas, and you will have your own ways to take care of yourself too.
- Make time for a fun or relaxing activity over the weekend
- Give yourself permission to say no to requests from others
- Cancel unnecessary plans to free up time for yourself
- Focus on the basics, eat well, exercise and go to bed on time
- Forgive yourself when things go wrong, we all make mistakes
- Let go of being busy and take some breaks today
- Write down three things you appreciate about yourself today
- Get active outside and give your mind and body a boost
- Talk kindly to yourself today, as you would to someone you love
- Leave positive messages around for yourself to see regularly
- Find a new way to use your strengths and talents today
- Remind yourself that you are loved and worthy of love
My own self-care includes ignoring the to do list for a while, slowing down and making time to relax with a book or something creative. I am also nourished by being in Nature. Personally it’s experiences not things that nurture me. But for others ‘therapy shopping’ or socialising with close friends may work effectively for them. What do YOU do to nourish yourself? Whatever it is, be sure to pay attention to your own needs as well as those of others’. If you need it, you have my permission!